Buffalo Grilled Chicken Wraps
- Ready in Over an Hour
- Serves 4 People
- Skill Level Easy
Angela | The Kitchenista
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoon grape seed oil, more as needed
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Wing Sauce, more as needed
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 cups lettuce, any variety
- 1 large tomato, sliced and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced and seasoned with salt and pepper
- ½ cup blue cheese or ranch dressing
- 4 extra large tortillas
- In a large bowl, whisk ¼ cup kosher salt into the buttermilk until dissolved; set aside.
- Pound the chicken breasts out to about ½-inch thickness; this will ensure even and quick cooking on the grill. To do this, place a few chicken breasts at a time between plastic wrap or a plastic storage bag. Use a meat pounder or rolling pin to flatten out the thick part of the cutlet.
- Add the chicken breasts to the buttermilk brine so that all the chicken is submerged. Refrigerate for at least an hour and up to 4 hours. After brining, remove the chicken and pat dry.
- Mix together the paprika, pepper, garlic and onion powders. Drizzle the chicken with oil to lightly coat and season both sides of the chicken with the spice mix.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct heat; approximately 400 to 450 degrees F. Once the grill temperature has stabilized, oil the grates. Arrange chicken breasts in a single layer over the hottest area of the grill to sear on one side. After a couple minutes, flip the chicken over to sear the other side. If you’d like, you can also grill the sliced red onions for your wraps during this time.
- Pour a cup of Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Wing Sauce into a small dish. Baste the chicken with a light layer of sauce. Flip the chicken over and baste the other side with buffalo sauce. Continue flipping and basting every minute until the chicken has cooked through and registers 155 degrees F on an instant read meat thermometer.
- Transfer grilled chicken to a platter and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing. Its temperature will continue to climb up slightly so it’s important not to overcook it on the grill. You’ll need about a half cup of chicken for each wrap.
- To assemble the wraps, start by warming them for about 10 seconds in the microwave, optionally.
- Place a small mound of chopped grilled chicken on the lower 1/3 of a wrap. Top with additional buffalo sauce, lettuce, tomato slices, avocado slices and your choice of salad dressing. Fold the sides of the wrap toward the center while rolling from the bottom up. Continue rolling and tucking the contents of the wrap in as you go, until the wrap is closed.
- Slice in half, as desired, and serve immediately.